Ripped Black is a dietary supplement produced in New Zealand by Horleys. The company was founded in 1976, is one of New Zealand’s top supplement manufacturers, and are the official sponsors of a number of successful sports personalities including Leanne Grindrod (bodybuilding) and Martin Lukes (ultrarunning). All Horley’s supplements are designed to function as sports supplements, and Ripped Black promises to help the user “train insane” and reach their fitness goals.
Promised benefits include:
• Promotes fat oxidation
• Increases the metabolic rate
• Enhances mental focus
Key Ingredients & Blend Potential
Each capsule provides:
- Camellia sinensis (Green Tea) Dry Leaf (2.5g): Basically just green tea, but it’s a good ingredient that has proven fat burning abilities and is so popular with diet pill manufacturers it may very well be the most used diet pill ingredient in the world. [Further Reading]
- Paullinia cupana (Guarana) Dry Seed (332mg): A caffeine provider that is twice as potent as coffee, but delivers its caffeine content more slowly. This makes it very useful for supplying an enduring supply of caffeine. Probable benefits include increased focus, more energy, appetite suppression & fat burning. [Further Reading]
- Coffee Arabica (Green Coffee Bean) Dry Seed (4g): Coffea Arabica is probably the most commonly used variety of coffee bean in the world. Like all other coffee beans, in their green (unroasted) state coffea Arabica beans are rich in chlorogenic acid—a compound that has an outstanding fat burning reputation.
- Ilex paraguariensis (Yerba Mate) Dry Leaf (16.7mg): Like coffee, Yerba Mate is often consumed as a beverage. It is also a source of caffeine, but in this regard it is not as powerful as coffee. Yerba mate also provides methylxanthines and polyphenols that appear to assist weight loss by providing appetite suppression, boosting the metabolism, and supressing the growth of fresh fat cells.
- Salix alba (White Willow) Dry Stem Bark (1.5g): Salix alba is quite a common inclusion in weight loss formulations, but its abilities are far from being proven. It is, however, very similar to aspirin in as much that it can be useful as a pain killer.
- Garcinia quaesita (Garcinia Cambogia) Dry Fruit Rind (1.67g): Often called garcinia cambogia, garcinia quaesita is a good provider of hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which appears to be an appetite suppressant. It can also prevent the body from storing excess carbohydrates as body fat. Several studies endorse its value as a weight loss provider and, after one clinical trial, the scientists concluded: “The results therefore confirm that ethanolic extracts of G. cambogia seeds have both haematologically enhancing and anti-obesity effects.”
- Citrus aurantium (Bitter Orange) Dry Fruit (1.23g): An extract taken from the rind of a citrus fruit, citrus aurantium contains synephrine, which appears to function as a fat burner.
- Capsicum frutescens (Capsicum) Dry Fruit (8.34mg): The capaiscin provided by capsicum frutescens is a valuable fat burning compound that can further assist the weight loss process by providing appetite suppression.
- Chromium (as chromic chloride) (50mcg): Chromium is usually added to weight loss formulas to help encourage fat burning. Test conducted in the 1950s were highly supportive of its abilities, but recent studies have not been so complimentary. [Further Reading]
- Tyrosine (15mg): An amino acid that is necessary for a healthy metabolism and is generally believed capable of triggering the fat burning process.
How to Take Ripped Black
Dosage and usage instructions are dependent on individual goals. People who require daily energy enhancement are advised to take one capsule at 9am followed by a second capsule 2pm.
For weight management, one capsule should be taken with a glass of water just before breakfast. A second capsule should be taken in the mid-afternoon.
If Ripped Black is being used as a pre-workout supplement, one capsule should be taken alongside Horleys CreatineXtreme.
For fat loss, the capsules should be used in conjunction with exercise. Two capsules are required on waking and one capsule before embarking on a workout.
No customer feedback could be found at the time of this review.
Side Effects, Health Issues & Supplementary Information
Horleys warn against taking more than three capsules per day and point out each capsule contains 100mg of caffeine. This is a similar amount of caffeine to that provided by a cup of instant coffee, so it is not excessive, but may make the formulation unsuitable for anyone who has a low tolerance to caffeine and other stimulants. A five-day break is recommended after every three weeks of continuous use and Horleys further warn the product is unsuitable for children or pregnant/nursing mothers.
Ripped Black does not appear to be sold with a money back guarantee.
Purchasing Options & Considerations
It is not possible to purchase Ripped Black from the manufacturer’s website, but the product is stocked by a number of online stores including Mr Supplement & Supps R US. The price can vary a little from one supplier to the next, but expect to pay AUD$ 45 – AUD$ 60 per (70 capsule) bottle.
For our top recommendations – including the best selling Instant Knockout – of fat burning products and weight loss pills, follow the link below.